One of the other great things about returning to a market is that you know you can make notes on anything that needs to be tweaked to improve the display. I did notice that the room lighting was a bit dim, so have since set out to source some portable lighting that I can use in subsequent stalls. Having found some USB lights in our local Ikea, I knew that I had a couple of portable solar chargers that could power them, so I dug those out.
One of the chargers was fine but the other one had developed a horrible, sticky coating on the back of the shell. Despite various washing attempts simply wouldn’t shift. Bits of dust and hair were getting stuck on and everytime I picked it up, I had to wash my hands afterwards. Not good.
The option of covering the shell with tape gave me an idea. A few months ago I bought some Decopatch paper but never got around to using it. So, I bought myself some decoupage glue and set to covering up the sticky stuff. Seriously, I did wonder if the paper could simply be stuck onto the case, but the glue itself is also a varnish and sealant, so as the charger folds up, I needed to make sure the finished surface was as smooth as possible.
The charger shape is a bit awkward because it fans out. After a quick inspection, I found that while the back shell could be removed easily, I’d have to disassemble the whole charger in order to get the other 2 shells off – not something I fancied doing as electronics are not my strong point. I’m happy to pimp but hacking is a whole different thing! So I conceded that I could only cover the visible bits of the internal shells.
The process took less than an hour, which was much quicker than I thought! It also used less paper and glue than I’d prepared, so I used the spare materials to cover a cleaned-out custard powder tub as well. And then I got a bit hooked and also did another polystyrene tub and a photo frame. Anyway, once the paper was on, it took one final coat of glue to form a varnish and I had to wait 24 hours. The glue is white, so it was difficult to see if the pattern had come through ok but it dried clear and I’m pleased with the results, considering it’s my first paper decoupage project :-)